Saturday, June 14, 2008

Having A Little Fun

I've had this bare yarn lying around for a while and finally decided to experiment with dyeing it. First I soaked it in water with a shot of white vinegar for about half an hour.

I mixed up some Kool-Aid without the sugar of course, 1/4 cup of water to one package of Kool-Aid roughly depending on how strong you want the color to be.

Wring out the yarn and put in a microwave safe container and coat your yarn with as much or as little color as you like. I used condiment containers that I got at the dollar store.

Microwave on high for two minutes, let rest for two minutes and microwave once more for two minutes. Remove from microwave and put somewhere to cool off. Once it has reached room temperature rinse in water of the same temperature until it runs clear.

Hang to dry.

So there it is and I will probably redye it since has a bit too much white to suit me so I'll let you know how that turns out. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but a little curly Q scarf attracts me somehow.

I have of course started another pair of socks but don't currently have a good picture to show. I'm already on the second sock. The pattern is from a friend Dipsy Doodle called Lacertilia Socks and can be found here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are a ton of tutorials out there on how to dye with koolaid. generally, it's 6 ounces water, 2 ounces white vinegar and one packet of koolaid per ounce of yarn.

June 15, 2008 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hey anonymous, thanks for the tip. I don't think I did it right but I'll try again.

June 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

It's like a candy cane. I saw the knitpicks blank sock yarn and I'm tempted. I worry about opening such enticing doors. The other day, I was on Craigs List looking for a spinning wheel or a knitting loom. Like I have time or money to keep opening these crafty doors.

June 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home