Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My Love For Pots - Part 3

My first show was in a small town called Mt. Albert, about half hour north of T-Dot and required me to be there at 6 AM to set up a display. I had minimal experience at doing this but gave it my best shot.

This show went from 10 AM to 4 PM and I had visions of being sold out by noon that's how positive I was about my stuff. I took along some crocheting just in case and it was a good thing. I needed the distraction from boredom.

The crochet project I started that weekend was a tablecloth done in white number 10 cotton, that's pretty thin stuff. The pattern was an easy one, basically 12 rows on the round which turned into a star shape. The finished tablecloth needed something like 360 rounds which were then sewn together. This crocheting went with me to every sale from that day on.

Back to the sale, the turnout was depressing. The other vendors I spoke to were also demoralized and we tried to cheer each other up. Remember, this was my first experience at this stuff and I had such high hopes. I had worked myself into a frenzy and had a reasonably nice collection of mugs, bowls, and platters.

Customers would come by, touch, admire and then ask if I had that in a difference color. I never seemed to have the right color in what they wanted and the sale was a total wipe out. I paid 25 bucks for the space, was there the entire day and grossed about 75 bucks total. But it was a learning experience and the next sale was only three weeks away. Back to the drawing board....stay tuned...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home